Being Spontaneous – The Ordinary Moments

I appreciate that my title may be a tad misleading as this week has been anything BUT ordinary, but this week we really capitalised on being spontaneous. I like to think that while I love planning, a part of me really enjoys being spontaneous. When our twin daughters were 8 weeks old, one sunday afternoon whilst  having a pub lunch we decided to book a holiday. For the next day. So it is well documented that we do like to throw caution to the wind at times. I have to admit this is more my husband than I, as I am the worrier of us, but I like to put my trust in him and go with the flow.

He rang me at midday on Tuesday to tell me that the job he was working on just wasn’t ready for them so he was on his way home. Oh and did I want to order a bathroom…to be delivered the following day! Now for most this would throw them into complete and utter panic, but for me it was music to my ears.

Being Spontaneous
We moved here in September 2015 and from the day we first viewed this house, I absolutely detested the bathroom. Two words to reiterate my point – pull chain. Yes our toilet had a pull chain for crying out loud! It was hideously outdated, dark, dank and just a room I absolutely hated spending any time in. It was always on the list of “things to do” but somehow, 18 months have passed and we were still sat with a grotty bathroom. Last summer, we decided to sort it and push ahead with our renovation plans however we then booked Disneyland (priorities!) so that was our bathroom budget gone. My husband kept saying he would sort it, but month after month passed and nothing was getting done. There is only so many times you can nag so I was kind of losing hope it would ever be finished.

Tuesday afternoon was spent ordering a bathroom which luckily we had been looking at not so long ago, and me packing everything up. On Wednesday morning, I came back from the school run and buying paint to find my bathroom in a skip on our drive – talk about quick moving. As I type this, we are waiting to get the shower and sink plumbed in as our old house and dated bathroom has thrown up some unexpected curveballs with old pipes and poor previous plumbing. I was hoping by today it’d all be sorted, but the other issue is that on at tea time today my husband is heading off to Scotland for 12 days straight so I don’t think it’s all going to be completely finished meaning showers and baths down at my Dads house. It will need grouting and painting but hopefully I will be able to sort that.

So deep breaths and know that sometimes being spontaneous is a great way to live, even if it means crossing your legs whilst the water is off and daily trips to shower elsewhere!

The Ordinary Moments

1. Tracey Peach
    5th March 2017 / 9:17 am

I’ve enjoyed reading thank you 🙂 x

2. 5th March 2017 / 9:21 am

I love being spontaneous x great read x

3. 5th March 2017 / 11:45 am

Yay to a new bathroom! We have been in our house 3 years and I hate our ensuite and bathroom but like you priorities of other things have came first and just haven’t had the time. I am a planner usually but I also absolutely love being spontaneous sometimes x

4. 5th March 2017 / 11:58 am

Oh what a wonderful surprise twist to the week! Sending all good plumbing vibes in your direction (we too have battled odd sized pipes!) and may there be many luxurious baths at your own house in your future!

5. 5th March 2017 / 12:54 pm

Haha I LOVE being spontaneous! This is me all over, act first and think later. The thing I love about that is though that if you had known you would be without a finished bathroom for two weeks you wouldn’t have done it. But you just went for it and now ok it’s a bit inconvenient but finally you’re going to have a lovely new bathroom! I’m jealous, our bathroom is tiny and hideous! (jumping dolphin tiles!) xx

6. 5th March 2017 / 1:15 pm

Wow what an amazing surprise!! Thank goodness you knew what you wanted and could order there and then. Can’t wait to see the big reveal very soon. #ordinarymoments xx

7. Laura S
    5th March 2017 / 4:31 pm

Sometimes it’s necessary to just be spontaneous and throw caution to the wind. A nice treat every now and again definitely makes life a lot more better. Sure we can’t take our money with us when we pass over.

I’m sure it’s also a massive relief to get the bathroom sorted. It’s always so satisfying to tick off another job that’s on the list.

8. A S,Edinburgh
    5th March 2017 / 4:49 pm

It’s so great that you’re happy with that; it must get stuff done! A new bathroom is really exciting!

9. 5th March 2017 / 8:03 pm

oh no! glad its getting sorted now. you can have a room to relax in finally.

10. 5th March 2017 / 8:36 pm

90% of the time I am a planner and then occasionally I through caution to the wind and do something spontaneous. And do you know what, I quite like it, everything seems more relaxed. I can’t believe you had a chain, that made me chuckle. I hope it will all be finished soon for you x

11. MARGARET gallagher
    5th March 2017 / 8:36 pm

Ha …. hope you don’t have to keep your legs crossed for toooooooo long -will be worth it

12. 5th March 2017 / 9:34 pm

I like to be spontaneous sometimes but usually just to say ‘come on lets go out today’, I’ve never ordered a new room to be delivered next day! Perhaps next time I’m having a moment of spontaneity I’ll ask myself WWBD? Can’t wait to see your insta worthy bathroom in all it’s glory.

13. Tee simpson
    5th March 2017 / 10:47 pm

A new batgroom is exciting. Enjoyed reading this post

14. Lorna Ledger
    6th March 2017 / 7:33 pm

I love things like this, they give me great joy in life x

15. 7th March 2017 / 10:15 am

Oh my goodness this must be so exciting for you. I went away this weekend and my husband decided to redecorate our bedroom while I was gone – it’s nice when they’re spontaneous isn’t it? I love that you had a chain pull on your toilet – I remember having one of those haha x #TheOrdinaryMoments

16. Jordan jarmain
    7th March 2017 / 11:26 am

I could only wish for a new bathroom. I’ve wanted one for about 3 years now but as you say life gets in the way. It was definitely meant to be going ahead this year but then my partner proposed just before our 10 year anniversary so now we’ve got a wedding to plan! Never mind lol

17. 7th March 2017 / 4:16 pm

I love that you are a spontaneous bunch. Some people are far too cautious and worry over everything but it sounds like you and your husband can conquer anything together! I hope the bathroom is all fixed up now x