Getting Out The House – The Ordinary Moments

Last week, I was a bit of a rubbish Parent. The girls haven’t been sleeping well and in turn I’ve woken up exhausted every morning. I don’t do well on very little broken sleep so after the school run, most mornings have been spent flaked out on the sofa until nursery time. The housework crept up around me and I generally had no energy to do anything.

I was feeling very guilty come Friday about my lack of really achieving anything during the week. The ever present little voice on my shoulder seems to be counting down the days until September when my babies start school and the luxury of mornings together will be no more, forever more.

I knew my Dad was off work that day so I decided we would go for a little wander down by the river. Armed with some seed, we met Dad and his dog down there where we fed the ducks and geese (who did not take kindly to Harry the dog as they hissed incessantly at him whilst he sat looking on bemused!) and giggled as we tried to aim it in the water and failed miserably. We then had a stroll by the river and then my ever hungry monkeys said they wanted something to eat so we decided to have a drive to our local garden centre. This place isn’t much to look at I’ll admit, however there’s a big play corner where the girls can play happily whilst Dad and I had a catch up.

It’s lovely when they can go off and play as sitting quietly round a table isn’t for my girls; they want to be off playing and free to roam about. I chucked the diet out the window and had a huge bacon sandwich followed by a big chocolate brownie – delicious!

In total, we were only out a couple of hours yet it felt like I’d actually accomplished something when we dropped them off for nursery. I felt I’d somehow redeemed myself and even came home and sorted all the washing out. Lack of sleep coupled with rubbish weather really has taken its toll on me this week. I know that once I’m up and about I will be more motivated, but sometimes you have to give yourself a big kick up the arse to get going.

1. Rachel Craig
    5th February 2017 / 9:08 am

Being outdoors is wonderful. I’m sure the girls enjoyed their time with Grad-Dad and his dog. Whilst nice for you to have a catch up with your Dad. Well Done!

2. 5th February 2017 / 9:38 am

It always good to get out and have some fresh air, and a good catch up with a loved one of course, well done!

3. 5th February 2017 / 10:26 am

I had a similar week and I’m so glad we’ve now had a few dry days and even a bit of sun! It’s so much easier to parent in good weather! Lovely photos, I’m jealous of the relationship you have with your dad, he always sounds like such a lovely man xx

4. A S,Edinburgh
    5th February 2017 / 10:45 am

A lovely article and pictures; thanks for sharing it all! It’s amazing how easily a lack of motivation can turn into a cycle. Getting out of the house just for the sake of it, or seeing a loved one, can be a really good way of breaking out of that.

5. 5th February 2017 / 11:34 am

I’ve had one of these weeks too! Sometimes just getting out and about in the fresh air, even if it’s nowhere ‘special’ can give you such a boost x

6. Helen Moulden
    5th February 2017 / 11:39 am

Looks like a lovely day out, and so good to get some fresh air! Bet you all felt better 🙂

7. Margaret
    5th February 2017 / 7:45 pm

So easy to sit in -meybe i should gove myself a kick too – lovely pics

8. 5th February 2017 / 8:19 pm

We definitely all benefit from the times we just get up and out but I too have been lacking in motivation this week. I blame waiting for spring! X

9. 5th February 2017 / 8:41 pm

Outdoors solve things every time for us when we are feeling mawaaa. Hope you catch some much deserved zzzz’s It’s easy to just go a few days and not make time to run and be free outside. Lovely snaps. Popping over from #ordinarymoment

10. 5th February 2017 / 11:04 pm

It is hard sometimes – broken sleep and little sunlight are a killer for my own motivation: I understand it well ❤ it looks like you had a jolly little jaunt though! x

11. William Gould
    6th February 2017 / 8:10 am

Fresh air and daylight do work wonders. We try to get outside for at least an hour a day in the winter, even if it’s just pottering in the garden picking leaves up and planning what and where we are growing things next year!

12. 6th February 2017 / 10:16 pm

I think you have to give yourself a kick but you also have to do a heap of nothing sometimes too. The main reason we chose mornings for Troy’s nursery was that we knew we’d do nothing with the mornings if we sent him in the afternoon! x

13. 6th February 2017 / 11:15 pm

what a lovely way to finish up the week – a nice potter around in the sunshine and a gorgeous lunch sounds pretty perfect 🙂

14. 7th February 2017 / 10:00 am

I totally get this. I definitely have to give myself a kick to go out and about with Holly. She is so contented to play at home, it’s easy to do. Well done you x

15. Valerie Cosgrove
    7th February 2017 / 1:38 pm

I can sympathise wth you – sometimes I feel terrible about not seizing the day, even if it’s just to go and splash in puddles. It sounds like you had a wonderful time!

16. 8th February 2017 / 3:51 am

Lovely way to spend time together.

17. Jennifer Haden
    8th February 2017 / 8:45 am

I think we all have rubbish weeks, where we just need to take a break and a breather! Getting out definitely helps x

18. Margaret
    8th February 2017 / 11:30 pm

Twas a beautiful day her-wrapped up warm and went to the park
    Had a brilliant day -roll on summer

19. Rachel Craig
    9th February 2017 / 7:57 pm

Can be nice to get outdoors.

20. Fiona jk42
    9th February 2017 / 8:27 pm

I’m glad you managed to get out of the house. It sounds as if that helped to turn what could have been a boring day into a nice one. However, you shouldn’t beat yourself up if you have some days when you just don’t feel like doing anything because you’re too tired.

21. 11th February 2017 / 8:58 am

It’s good to get out and about in winter times xx

22. Anthea Holloway
    11th February 2017 / 1:58 pm

It is lovely to get out but don’t feel that you always have to get out. Sometimes it is good to stay in and play games indoors – especially snowy and windy days like today.

23. Tee simpson
    11th February 2017 / 8:49 pm

We love outdoors. Especially winter walks

24. Deborah Clarke
    11th February 2017 / 10:10 pm

Its always fun to take the kids out in the open air. They spend far too long cooped up with technology these days. Sounds like you had a fab time x

25. Joanne Casey
    12th February 2017 / 7:35 am

It’s so lovely to spend time together out in the fresh air.

26. Pauline jaconelli
    14th February 2017 / 8:37 pm

I know about this alright, broken sleep is what I live on and this weather here in glasgow has been soooo cold I’ve not been able to take my sons out, I can’t wait til the summers here

27. Theresa Alison
    5th March 2017 / 9:53 am

Whatever the weather the kids enjoy just getting out the house I know mine did . Even if its a walk around the streets make it like a fun game and give them boards and markers to see what they spot.

28. Christina K Hodson
    5th March 2017 / 6:58 pm

We love going out whenever weather permits. Walking to the local park and feeding ducks is always fun.