Homework for 3 Year Olds?

My girls came home Friday from nursery with a little bag containing a book with letters in, a pen and a laminated sheet with the alphabet on. They were so incredible excited and wanted to get home quickly to “do their homework” I had to pinch myself to remember they are 3 year olds!

Homework is a concept they’re very familiar with having an older brother. He is really good at getting it done (at the moment anyhow!) as it’s set on a Friday so he completes it over the weekend. Sometimes he has maths puzzles or other times there’s work on the computer. He always has spellings which he has to sit and practise. All in all, for an 8 year old he has a fair bit to do. I cast my mind back to him in nursery and he never really did much “practical learning” as such.

Homework for 3 Year OldsThe girls started nursery four months ago and I have to say, I’m amazed. They can spell their names and can also write them, albeit not perfectly. At home I used to do very basic lettering before starting but never in a million years would have thought they’d be this stage at such a little age.

This “homework” isn’t really homework. It’s an extension of nursery and really just there to help them draw out letters with the ability to wipe it away. The phonics book is probably more for parents who aren’t familiar with all the sounds and how they are taught. I can’t lie, it was a big thing thinking my 3 year olds had homework. It made me realise, we are on the road galloping towards school. This concept of homework is going to be a reality soon and instead of me asking one child, it’ll be three.

When people ask if I’m having any more children, situations like this make me realise anymore would somehow feel selfish. Whilst the girls are about to gain a huge sense of independence, with it brings a whole new level of need for individual one on one time. I already am wondering how I’ll split myself three ways equally when they need help with homework or I’m needed to go into class, that the thought of adding another makes my mind feel frazzled. I want to be able to be the best I can for the three babies I have.

The girls have absolutely relished the fun aspect of practising their letters and you can tell they feel grown up, like their big brother when they tell relatives they have “homework”For me, it’s a dawning realisation of how quickly time is passing and I’ll soon be lining up three school bags by the front door.

The Ordinary Moments

1. 29th January 2017 / 8:27 am

Wow that does sound very grown up! It’s lovely that they were so excited about it – long may that last 🙂

2. 29th January 2017 / 9:30 am

Oh goodness I bet that was a pull on the heart strings? Ours so far hasn’t come home with homework, but she starts school in September so I am expecting it #TheOrdinaryMoments

3. 29th January 2017 / 10:08 am

Looks liked she’s enjoying learning x

4. Mary Brothwood
    29th January 2017 / 2:19 pm

That’s so wonderful that they are enjoying it and eager to learn 🙂
    We have found my stepson (now 7) is having increasing homeworks, it feels more like it’s parent homework sometimes 🙂 but it’s keeping us all busy! xx

5. 29th January 2017 / 2:46 pm

Wow that sounds amazing at such a young age indeed. It’s great having one on one time I am from a huge family (eight of us) and somehow my mom did it so you could too if you wanted another. Popping over from #ordinarymoments

6. 29th January 2017 / 4:56 pm

Well done clever girls. Not only do I wonder how I will manage homework with both girls, but will I know how to do it!! X #theordinarymoments

7. 29th January 2017 / 7:21 pm

Isn’t it funny how once you’ve broken the “norm” of two children people think you will just keep on popping them out!
    My elder two have homework – my 7yr old seems to have loads and I’m not a fan if I’m honest.

8. A S,Edinburgh
    29th January 2017 / 8:45 pm

It’s lovely that they’re feeling like it’s a positive thing at this stage. It sounds like they’re making brilliant progress!

9. 29th January 2017 / 8:45 pm

Ah it sounds like they are getting in so well with nursery. Homework is such a strange concept and I must admit I hate the time it takes we could be learning about other things that Eva is interested in like we used to. I can’t imagine when I have two of them to do it with! X

10. Margaret
    29th January 2017 / 9:10 pm

Its great to see they are loving the experience -didnt think 3 year old got homework ! A challenge for you to keep up with them good luck x

11. Helen Moulden
    29th January 2017 / 9:56 pm

It does sound grown up, but also lovely. I’m sure you’ll cope :).

12. William Gould
    30th January 2017 / 8:36 am

I suppose calling it “Homework” and getting the kids excited about it is a good move by the Nursery. Practicing writing is no bad thing though, is it?

13. 31st January 2017 / 6:04 pm

It’s definitely hard to split yourself three ways, I often wonder how I am going to cope with LL being at school next year and having to do two sets of homework. Mads gets so much, she has spellings, reading and homework every week and I find it quite hard to get it all done now as it is! xx

14. 31st January 2017 / 7:58 pm

Oh wow. Athena didn’t have work like this until she started reception. Troy has just had books sent home for us to read to him! x

15. Rachel Butler
    8th February 2017 / 11:58 pm

I think it’s a wonderful idea to start ‘homeworks’ at this age! It’s preps our children for what’s to come! And if it makes them more eager to learn then so be it! Xoxo

16. 21st February 2017 / 7:30 pm

Yes i agree little ones do get a lot of homework. It is very good for them. My boy is 6 soon and he has had maths equations, sets of 25 words all containing 6 words each, which he has completed and is now on sentences. Its amazing how much there little brains absorb. He gets so excited too. I don’t remember anything like this when I was little.

17. Lorna Ledger
    18th March 2017 / 3:24 pm

I think this is a good idea, most families do this anyway, but by calling it ‘homework’ they feel more inclusive x