Blood Donation – The Ordinary Moments

I realise that donating blood may not be an ordinary moment for many, but for me it’s a quick easy thing to do that always leaves me feeling like I’ve done a good deed. With over half of all blood donations being used to help people who have terminal illnesses, it really is so important to me especially given what we have been through as a family the past few years.

I started donating blood about six years ago. My Grandad regularly donated and after he passed away in 2008, I felt the need to take over. Our local leisure centre runs sessions and it’s very simple that you turn up and are seen within the hour. Luckily, I am able to donate and am not afraid of needles.

The last two times I have attended, my sister has come with me. If you know my sister, she can get very anxious about things so for her to even think about donating was a huge deal. When she did donate I was absolutely amazed as I thought her fears would overtake; I felt really proud that we were doing something together that was so good and know my Mom and Grandad would be so proud.

It’s lovely to have someone to donate with and I can’t think of a more rewarding way to spend an hour. It’s not something many people think of to do, but it really is such a rewarding think to do. It’s so easy to make an appointment; you choose your venue, date and time online and that’s it. Your donation could save someone’s life. I wrote a post a few years ago about what it’s like to give blood incase you wondered what happens at the session. Why not look into it after reading my post? Go on. Why not, you literally could save someone’s life.

B x

1. 22nd January 2017 / 8:58 am

Good for you – it’s a wonderful thing to be able to do, and it must have been nice to sit down for a guilt free chat with your sister 🙂

2. 22nd January 2017 / 9:21 am

This is lovely – and a biscuit, you get a biscuit and a cup of tea remember! Last time I tried to donate my blood was too slow 🙁

3. 22nd January 2017 / 10:13 am

I have an unbelievable fear of having blood taken from me and decided to try and conquer it the other year as a resolution to give blood (having a rare type helped push me). It didn’t go well afterwards but I’ll be trying again this year. Well done you #TheOrdinaryMoments

4. 22nd January 2017 / 10:43 am

Ive given blood a few times,and i feel so good afterwards,like im really helping others x

5. 22nd January 2017 / 11:05 am

I used to give blood but I’m afraid health problems don’t allow me to now, but I have also received blood after a near-fatal accident, it really does save lives, mine included.

6. A S,Edinburgh
    22nd January 2017 / 11:31 am

Thanks so much for doing this and for writing about it. I’d love to do it and the fact that I can’t really frustrates me.

7. Helen Moulden
    22nd January 2017 / 5:30 pm

I’ve given blood a few times, but I’m quite squeamish about it. I really must try and do it more this year though. It’s so important.

8. 22nd January 2017 / 7:53 pm

I used to give blood regularly – and then the children happened, we moved areas, my details change etc. I updated everything Nov/Dec time and made an appt to give blood – on Tuesday. The waiting lists were horrific! I’m quite looking forward to it! x

9. Margaret
    22nd January 2017 / 8:47 pm

Great thing to do
    Unfortunately i cannot do this for medical reasons but i active encourage others to do this painless (minimal)way to save lives

10. 22nd January 2017 / 8:54 pm

You are one of life’s real-life angels Beth. I can’t give blood due to my thyroid condition but I think everyone who does give blood is just amazing. Such an selfless thing to do xx

11. 22nd January 2017 / 8:57 pm

I used to give blood regularly as they used to come to my work and it was really easy for me. Then I left to have the girls and the last time I went, I couldn’t give blood for a few reasons. I will be able to start again this summer and it is really important to me that I do x

12. 22nd January 2017 / 10:25 pm

Such an important thing to do, my husband used to donate regularly and kind of got out of the habit until recently and has started going again. X

13. Rachel Craig
    22nd January 2017 / 11:48 pm

Generous thing to do. Good idea to comment on blog letting people know what to expect etc. For some people maybe it would be easier to go with a friend etc rather than alone.

I can recall being excited yet a little anxious the first time I donated blood. I think it’s because on first occasion, not sure what to expect. Maybe Educational sessions being given to Secondary school pupils would be beneficial.

14. William Gould
    23rd January 2017 / 8:27 am

I must admit this is something I forget to do! I must get round to finding where my local one is as I have not donated since I moved towns…

15. Bev
    23rd January 2017 / 10:29 am

I can’t donate but am grateful to those that do! Thank you!

16. 23rd January 2017 / 11:38 am

Good for u I am hoping to donate blood this year I’ve not done it for awhile as they had issues get blood from me last time.

17. Carly Belsey
    23rd January 2017 / 12:22 pm

Reading this has kicked me up the butt, I really need to start donating, I keep meaning too

18. Emma Walton
    23rd January 2017 / 7:38 pm

I keep meaning to give blood but don’t get around to it. I really should do it and as a bonus, I should be able to find out what my blood group is.

19. Sian Buckingham
    25th January 2017 / 3:34 pm

What lovely thing to do! Go, you!

20. 12th February 2017 / 10:06 am

Ive given blood before,ill do it again soon too x