Appreciation – The Ordinary Moments

The kids went back to school and nursery on Wednesday after what was a lovely Christmas. As nice as lazing in our PJS until gone midday and eating chocolate all day is, it is nice for some form of normality to resume.

When Wednesday rolled around, my husband announced he had a bonus day off which for him is really rare. As you may know, he works away during the week so any extra days are always really precious. I had planned a lovely afternoon in Ironbridge (we always love a trip here) after we had dropped the girls at nursery for a walk around the shops and some lunch, however I was poorly.

The day before, I had a splitting migraine that absolutely floored me. I also was having really bad hot and cold flushes making it incredibly uncomfortable to sit or even try to sleep. I won’t bang on but I felt pretty crap. This carried on through to Wednesday meaning we had to cancel our plans as I spent most of the day in bed. I felt pretty rotten but coupled with the fact my husband had a day off for no real reason made me feel even crappier.

He had to go back to work on Thursday (and took my car) and I still wasn’t 100% and it was this day I appreciated how lucky I am to have so much support from my family. As I was car-less the thought of walking back and forth from school six times felt somewhat daunting so my Dad kindly offered to take Charlie into school for me, whilst I stayed with the girls. He even brought me tablets and offered to cook for me. My best friend also popped over and my sister got food for me from in town. By Thursday lunchtime I was feeling more normal and was able to get on with the housework etc but it made me realise that how much support I really do have.

I think back to when we were little. There’s almost four years between my sister and I so daily trips out were on the cards. My parents moved over here where they had no family close by. My Dad too worked away and my Mom didn’t drive, so she really had to roll up her sleeves and crack on with it. It’s funny isn’t it that at the time you never ever appreciate it, yet with the beauty of hindsight you can appreciate how hard it must have been for her. It just makes me have even more respect for her.

I am feeling fine now and hope it was a little blip as I’m not usually ill very often luckily. I have started 2017 realising how special my family really are. Both my sister and Dad are a few minutes walk away and for some this may sound awful, but for me I couldn’t and wouldn’t want it any other way. I love how close we all are and I hope one day my babies feel the same way.

1. Margaret
    8th January 2017 / 11:11 am

Tis lovely when you have family nearby who help out

2. 8th January 2017 / 12:47 pm

Aww appreciating your family really is the best feeling isn’t it? I’m super close to my sister too and just knowing that she is there for me is a huge help when you need it – I wish she lived just a few minutes from though! Sorry to hear you’ve been poorly and I wish you heaps better soon #theoordinarymoments

3. 8th January 2017 / 1:51 pm

I saw on Instagram that you were poorly and couldn’t have your day out together. Such rotten timing! You’re so lucky to have family so close to help out. My family are not too far away, but wouldn’t be able to help out on school runs when I’m poorly. I’m pleased you are better x

4. 8th January 2017 / 4:37 pm

Sorry to hear you weren’t feeling very well Beth. I wish I lived closer to my parents and Sister but we do live near my husbands parents which is a huge support to us xx

5. 8th January 2017 / 9:06 pm

I am so glad you have such a close support network – but so sorry you didn’t get the lovely day you had planned x

6. 9th January 2017 / 10:07 am

I have one sister that lives a few roads from me, the others aren’t too far but I wish had more people in walking distance. Sorry you were poorly but how lovely to have so much support. Missing your day with your husband is horrible timing, I hope you can make it up soon xx

7. 9th January 2017 / 1:50 pm

That support network is so so important. I’m not sure how my mum and dad did it as they raised 3 of us without any help from anyone else. I rely on my family and inlaws and they are so amazing.

8. 9th January 2017 / 6:47 pm

Ah what a lovely post and it is so nice to see people appreciating the little things. I have felt the same this week after my mum helped us so much in the house while we were away on holiday. I am glad you are better now, migraines are awful. x

9. 10th January 2017 / 11:32 am

Glad you are feeling better and it is so nice that you have help at hand when you need it and are on your own x

10. Margaret
    24th January 2017 / 2:31 pm

Dreaded lurgy hit our house
    Learning its the people bringing soups and homecooked bread thats getting me through x

11. 26th January 2017 / 3:29 am

It’s great that you have such good family support, glad you’re feeling better.

12. 25th February 2017 / 11:26 am

It’s vital to have a support network x