Time Out – The Ordinary Moments

As I type this, I have just returned from 24 hour of pure bliss. My husband booked us a night in a gorgeous spa hotel and we basked in luxury for a day and a night.

We were like teenagers as we drove away with no car seats in the back of the car and were able to eject the Disney CD and have some music on that wasn’t out of a film or nursery rhyme. We were able to just stop off and have a wander round the shops to choose our lunch or pop into a shop if something caught our eye. It really is so easy to forget how such simple tasks take tripe the time with kids in tow.

We arrived at the incredibly beautiful New Hall Spa which is set in Sutton Coldfield, and instantly were wowed. It’s a beautiful old castle complete with gargoyles and a lily pad filled moat. We checked in and headed over to the spa which is in a separate building. The sun was shining and it was just so peaceful. We changed into our robes and headed off for a swim and steam room, before our pre-booked hour long full body massage.

I always forget just how amazing a massage is until the therapist starts and I melt away into heaven, vowing to start having them regularly. Is it just me that finds that 60 minutes in that bed seems like 10? Seriously, an hour watching Paw Patrol NEVER goes as fast as time in a spa.

We headed back to our beautiful room which overlooked magnificently manicured green lawns and flowers to freshen up. I was SO tempted to take a nap but we decided to head into the local town for a spot of shopping, something to eat and a few drinks. Despite being child free, the rock and roll lifestyle of kids meant that subliminally we ended up going back by about 8.30pm and I was so excited to whack on my PJs and sprawl in bed knowing that I wasn’t going to hear the patter of little monkeys climbing out of bed to cause some havoc.

I’d love to say I had an epic lie in but in reality, I woke at 6.30am and then managed to drop back off until about 8am. But believe me, that was heaven! I had an epic bath before room service breakfast brought us a feast. It felt so amazing to have someone BRING me breakfast that I hadn’t cooked.

We then headed to the Bull Ring and Grand Central to buy a few bits and then headed for home, 25 hours after we had left the kids with their Grandparents. In reality, it really wasn’t that long away but after a long and lonely summer holidays, it recharged the batteries for both my husband and I.

I moan a lot here about how hard it can be with him working away and having to look after the kids on my own, but realistically, he does an incredibly physical job. Most days he starts work at 7am and doesn’t finish til gone 6-7pm, plus added on 4-5hour drives there and home it really does take it’s toll. With him owning his own business too, mentally it is also draining. It was lovely to shut off our phones and just relax.

I always find to write and read posts like this, they often come across as “I can’t wait to get away from my kids!” No. I just think that we do need a break, from each other. They absolutely love having sleepovers and really enjoy it. It’s all about balance and I am grateful we get to have so much time together but also that a break is also an option on occasions.

So, time to plan the next one maybe?!

1. Bev
    4th September 2016 / 7:42 am

Sounds blissful! A little change of scenery and exclusive adult company can be a great thing!

2. 4th September 2016 / 2:59 pm

How lovely to have this time away together, it’s so important to remember who you are as a couple. We had our first break earlier this year, the first one in four years, and it was so nice. I really wish we could do it more often, but we are limited on childcare for over night stays. I think you should definitely plan the next one! x #theordinarymoments

3. 4th September 2016 / 5:24 pm

Sounds wonderful and looks like you had an amazing time. Sometimes time out is just what is needed to recharge! Popping over from #OrdinaryMoments

4. 4th September 2016 / 6:46 pm

This sounds perfect lovely! I would love to do something similar with my husband – childfree time together is so important. I’m the same though even if I have a childfree morning I still wake at 7am it’s drives me crazy xx

5. 4th September 2016 / 7:29 pm

Aww! How lovely! It sounds like heaven! It sounds like it was a much needed break! x

6. 4th September 2016 / 7:46 pm

Oh I don’t think it sounds like you don’t want to be with your kids – as you say it’s a battery recharge and it sounds like pure bliss! We went away in April for the first time since my eldest arrived and it was utterly wonderful to be away, and utterly wonderful to come back to them and see how much fun they’d had!

7. 4th September 2016 / 7:50 pm

Ah what a treat. It sounds like such a lovely time and how nice to get that time just that two of you. It sounds like it was a much needed relaxing break. I think it will be a while before we get to do that what with the arrival of our baby boy, but I will look forward to it when the time comes! x

8. 5th September 2016 / 7:11 pm

Wow it sounds like a great day and the lie in sounds fab too, I think its the best when you can go BACK to sleep as that rarely happens with little ones! xx

9. 8th September 2016 / 7:42 pm

I think it is really important to have time away and it certainly looks as if you had a blissful time. Like you said it’s the little things like breakfast in your hotel room (wahey) and just talking to your husband instead of being interrupted by the kids. Looks an amazing place x

10. A S,Edinburgh
    4th March 2017 / 3:32 pm

This sounds fabulous! It’s amazing how big a difference a break of just a day or two can make.