Home at 5pm – The Ordinary Moments

I’ve written many times about the fact my husband works away during the week. From bedtime until Sunday to tea time on a Friday, it’s just me and the kids. This is the way it’s pretty much always been and what we are used to, but it is hard.

There are the rare occasions where he works local, but all of the summer he’s been away so when he said he was having the last week of August off, it felt such s relief.

We went on holiday to Butlin’s during May half term and are off to Disneyland Paris in December, so we haven’t had a summer holiday as such. We will be having lots of days out next week so hoping the weather will be kind!

It was such a surprise on Thursday as we were sat at the table eating when suddenly the door burst open and Daddy was standing there! He had come home a day early so our week off was made even more special!

Him being home at 5pm always seems such a novelty. It means if I need to pop out to the shop I can without it being a military operation, and also an extra pair of hands at bath and bedtime making it that little bit easier. There are times when I would absolutely love him to have a 9-5 job so that we could all eat together and the relentless solo parenting wouldn’t seem so daunting, so lonely, so hard. But I know that him working away so much, means that I can stay at home and look after our children. I know that being a stay at home parent really is a luxury and one that most aren’t able to do. The only way to be able to afford everything is for him to work away so much. I am so grateful that we are in such a lucky position but I do love having him home of an evening, as are the kids.

1. Bev
    28th August 2016 / 8:18 am

My dad worked away a lot when I was a kid. He’d be in the isle of man, Guernsey, all over the place! I was always so excited when he came home. I recall the time he had grown a beard and walked in to be confronted by me screaming at the strange man! He always shaved before coming home after that!

2. 28th August 2016 / 9:07 am

Aw I can imagine the excitement on their faces as he came home a day early! It must be hard, but like you say, it’s great that you can be a stay at home mum and enjoy looking after your children 🙂 xx

3. Margaret Gallagher
    28th August 2016 / 12:24 pm

It’s great to get a surprise like this

4. 28th August 2016 / 12:44 pm

Isn’t it lovely when they come home unexpectedly early? My husband usually works until late but the other week he finished early and we had a mid week BBQ dinner in the garden, such a treat! xx

5. 28th August 2016 / 3:27 pm

What a lovely surprise for you all. It’s must be tough, I can’t imagine having to do solo parenting so much. I’m lucky that Andy makes it home most of the time for dinner. Enjoy your next week together X #theordinarymoments

6. 28th August 2016 / 8:12 pm

Oh what a wonderful surprise – the perfect start to a lovely week together. It must be so hard to be apart for so much of the time, so I can only imagine the joy when he walked through the door 🙂

7. 28th August 2016 / 8:27 pm

That must have been a lovely surprise indeed, I can only imagine the little look on their faces when they realised he was home! And on yours come to that! I am sure him working away a lot means that the time you have together is even more special. xx

8. Margaret Gallagher
    30th August 2016 / 6:19 pm

I got a wonderful surprise this evening -all of us round the table together
    Wasn’t expecting this at all x

9. 30th August 2016 / 9:33 pm

My husband doesn’t work away but he works long night shifts so it often feels like he is constantly at work or asleep and I am lone parenting, especially as his nights off are mid week so we don’t get family weekends. so although he isn’t working away I sort of know how you feel, and certainly know what the luxury of having them home is like, it must have been a lovely surprise. xx

10. Helen Moulden
    9th February 2017 / 5:11 pm

It must be so hard with him working away. I hope it gets easier eventually!

11. Lorna Ledger
    11th March 2017 / 10:55 am

I think we all have to work with what we have, it is hard to come across a traditional set up these days, a lot of families work shifts , or are like two ships in the night. Like you say appreciating the moments that we can, and loving the families that we have make it worthwhile xx