Feeding The Ducks – The Ordinary Moments

We have reached the halfway point of the school holidays and the days are starting to come somewhat repetitive. It is impossible to be able to go somewhere and have plans every single day, so sometimes there are long days at home. These days are hard so last Friday the sun was shining, so I decided we would go down to the river and go feed the ducks.

We are lucky that we have the River Severn run through our little town. It’s so easy to forget how such a simple thing can be so much fun. We parked in town and went to the little market and got three bags of seed then went down on the Cliff Railway which is still such a novelty to the kids. I was really shocked how quiet it all was as usually on a warm day, the town is filled with tourists so it was nice we got it to ourselves.

We had a walk across the bridge and tried to spot some ducks. Again, I was convinced it would be so busy and the ducks would already be waiting – this wasn’t the case! However we had a lovely walk by the river and managed to snap some beautiful photos. I only had my iPhone so not the best but still lovely to appreciate what is on our doorstep.

After walking up and down, we finally found some ducks and managed to get rid of the 3kg bags of seed I was carrying! There were a load of huge geese come and my god they have no fear! Charlie to my amazement wasn’t phased and was even trying to stroke them, which for him is a big deal.

After feeding them, we had a walk back across the bridge and at Charlie’s request we went to this little tearoom we had found a few weeks back. It’s a small little place which is run by a lovely couple. It’s proper old school as they don’t accept cards and menus are hand written. We went and sat out on the terrace which looks directly on to the river and had drinks, teacakes and slices of cake. It was just wonderful.

Too often, I get hung up on trying to organise big days out. As it doesn’t look like we will be going away as we are off to Disney later in the year, it can seem make the holidays seem long and a tad boring. But when you realise what is on your doorstep, it really is the simple things that the kids adore.

1. Samantha O'D
    14th August 2016 / 8:43 am

Looks beautiful. We took our new pram for a test drive around the lake in the local park yesterday. Was lovely

2. 14th August 2016 / 10:51 am

Sounds like a lovely day, we don’t have any big days out planned for the summer after going to Disney in June, but we are really enjoying just playing at the park and relaxing together. I am hoping to exchange some clubcard vouchers to get one day out though. x

3. 14th August 2016 / 12:10 pm

Sometimes the simplest things work out to be the best. Looks like you had a wonderful day.. Popping over from #Ordinarymoments xx

4. 14th August 2016 / 2:14 pm

I love Charlie’s t-shirt, its so cool! I agree it can be hard to keep the momentum going over the long holidays and think of things to keep everyone happy. It sounds like you had a lovely time, my girls love trips like this. It really is the simple things that can be the best x #theordinarymoments

5. 14th August 2016 / 8:45 pm

You really do live in the most beautiful area. And sometimes i find that these kind of days are the best ones. Often on the big, expensive days out everyone plays up and I think why have I bothered spending the money! These ordinary days are the best sometimes. xx

6. Margaret Gallagher
    14th August 2016 / 8:52 pm

You are so right
    We love going down to our local canal and seeing what we can spot
    Tomorrow we’re blackberry picking and my neices think it’s the best thing ever
    Your photos are beautiful

7. Jo Carroll
    15th August 2016 / 9:23 am

Looks stunning in your lovely part of the world. I often just take my little boy out for a wonder and just see where it takes us. We were fortunate to come across some Morris Dancers yesterday which was different 😉

8. Iris Tilley
    15th August 2016 / 5:50 pm

We forget how such a simple task of feeding ducks can make a day lovely

9. 15th August 2016 / 7:18 pm

Ahh! Feeding the ducks is such fun! Geese do scare me though…
    Lovely photos x

10. Margaret Gallagher
    18th August 2016 / 9:55 am

We did our blackberry picking and had loads of fun
    The ducks were all there too
    Fabulous fun and free

11. Laura Tovey
    7th November 2016 / 6:29 pm

Some gorgeous photos!!!
    The ordinary moments are usually the best ones!!