Doing a Good Deed

I decided that 2016 would be my year of change. I’m not one for resolutions as such nor am I usually one to stick to anything, but I knew something had to give this year.

I started by in the first week of January by joining Slimming World. My weight had gotten to the point where it was making me so desperately unhappy and not even wanting to go places with friends because I felt everyone would be looking and talking about me. It was not good. Here I am almost three months on and I’ve almost lost two stone. Along with Slimming World, I have started exercising and am able to run for over 30 minutes consecutively which at the start of January, one minute seemed an impossible task.

It feels good to make changes to my own life but this week I decided to start doing things to benefit others. Selfless acts are so rewarding and often it doesn’t take much to make a big difference.

Tomorrow I am booked to donate blood. It will be my 8th donation since starting a few years ago. I haven’t donated for a long time so it’ll be good to go back and start doing it every four months. I have even managed to get my sister to come with me for her first ever donation so it’ll be nice to have someone to go with. It’s such a simple way to spend an hour and makes such a difference.

I also decided this week to sign up for our local Race For Life. As you all know cancer devastated our lives so I hope I can raise a small amount to help such a brilliant charity. If I’m running for my own fitness and weight loss, I may as well put it up good use! It is under two months so best start doing more regular runs but it won’t be a competitive thing – it’s just in memory of my beautiful Mom. I used to do cross country races as a child and she would be at every race cheering me on, so I hope wherever she is she will be doing as she did twenty years ago.

It feels good to be doing something that will benefit others. Fancy joining me?

The Reading Residence

1. 25th March 2016 / 9:23 am

Well done on the weight loss! I did the Race For Life last year and had a fantastic day, the atmosphere is brilliant, you’ll love it.

2. 25th March 2016 / 12:51 pm

You are so kind and thoughtful. Well done.
    It sounds like the weight loss is going so well.
    Good luck with the Race For Life…Such a great cause x

3. 25th March 2016 / 1:17 pm

Wow well done on losing two stone, proper inspiration man. The race for life will be great, a good experience and great to give back. Where can I donate some dollar?xx

4. 25th March 2016 / 3:54 pm

Ah that’s fab! Well done your for having a plan and sticking to it. Not many people are still going with their new year’s resolutions in march. All sounds very positive.

5. 25th March 2016 / 4:26 pm

Good luck in your race for life run. xx
    #wotw

6. 25th March 2016 / 6:43 pm

You are doing so well, Beth, and you certainly are sticking to it. I’ve done the race for life a couple of times, and the cause and therefore the atmosphere are always good. Best of luck with it x Thanks for sharing with #WotW

7. 25th March 2016 / 8:43 pm

Aww good luck with the Race for Life for your Mom. Such a fab thing to do for charity and for you too. Hope the giving blood goes well xx #wotw

8. 25th March 2016 / 9:35 pm

That’s amazing weight loss and fitness surge Beth! I now feel like a right blob sitting here still making excuses for not starting down that road. Everyone I know who diets seems to swear by Slimming World so it must be the best one I reckon. I haven’t given blood for a very long time either – I must look out for an opportunity to do this locally again. Thanks for the reminder! Happy Easter X #wotw

9. Karen
    26th March 2016 / 2:03 pm

Congratulations on the weight loss 🙂 I need to get back on my diet wagon.. but not this weekend LOL! Good luck with the race for life too.

10. 26th March 2016 / 2:04 pm

Well done on the weight loss and great you are doing something for charity that with give.you.good direction X #wotw

11. 27th March 2016 / 8:43 am

I am so jealous of your focus and discipline. Something I have nothing of lately. Goodluck with the run and I know that you are going to be awesome! #wotw

12. 28th March 2016 / 3:43 pm

I used to regularly give blood and I am sad I can’t anymore due to medication I have to take! It’s a great thing, my husband gives regularly – he is O- which they are always after!
    Good luck for race for life – I have taken part a few times, it’s such a great day and a great cause too!