Charity Shops – The Ordinary Moments

My Mother in Law offered to have the girls at her house on a rather frosty Friday leaving me with a few hours to myself.

It is incredibly rare for me to have time to myself when I haven’t got plans so I wasn’t quite sure what to do. I decided I’d go into our local town. I don’t go into town very often to look round the shops as I usually have the double pushchair so can’t get in anywhere as most are small independent shops. My town also tends to be full of  hairdressers, cafes and charity shops – so I decided to go on a bargain hunt.

charity shop
The first couple I went into drew a blank and I felt I was wandered around aimlessly and a little lost without my babies. Then I found a goldmine. I found unread brand new books for 50p, a gorgeous bracelet for £2 (I always lose jewellery so it’s good to have cheapies for everyday!) an immaculate Next shirt for Charlie for £1.75 and a New Look jumper for me for… £1!charity shop
I forgot how exciting it is to stumble on a complete bargain like this and the feeling when you find something just perfect at such an amazing price!

I always used to turn my nose up at charity shops and flat out refuse to even step inside them but now? I adore a good rummage and have to phone everyone to tell them about my bargain buys. I left with a bag full of stuff for under £20; a very productive and rewarding morning doing something so simple.

the ordinary moments

1. 17th January 2016 / 7:58 am

I haven’t done it for so long, I used to quite a lot when I was on maternity leave to fill the time. Sounds like you had a great time out #TheOrdinaryMoments

2. 17th January 2016 / 8:56 am

I love charity shops for book hunting. Last summer I asked on fb at about 9am for book recommendations from my friends, go loads, popped to a local charity shop and managed to get about 8 of them. Result. Love #ordinarymoments like this

3. Hannah
    17th January 2016 / 9:20 am

From your description of your town, I had to check we don’t live in the same place! My town center is exactly the same. I love a good bargain, brilliant finds xx

4. Rebecca
    17th January 2016 / 10:12 am

Some great finds. I used to be a bit snobby about charity shops to be honest until more recently. I mainly go in now for books for Grace. She loves books and it saves us so much money. Every now and again, I just go to all of the charity shops in one town and see what I can find. I take Grace with me so she can help me pick the ones she likes. I came home with a bagful the other week for about a fiver. I’d spend that on one in a normal bookshop. And most of the time the books have hardly been read. I avoid ones with any dodgy looking stains lol or ones that have been drawn in. I want Grace to grow up not being as snobby about charity shops as I was x x

5. 17th January 2016 / 10:29 am

We don;t go to charity shops nearly enough, which is silly really because we live near Richmond in London and they usually have absolutely amazing finds! You’ve inspired me to go back for a rummage! xx

6. 17th January 2016 / 12:54 pm

I absolutely love getting a bargain too. We used to do a lot of car boot sales before the kids were born but we hardly ever go and look at them now, I collect vintage cameras so I always used to go on the hunt for them. You picked up some great bargains- the charity shops in our area are always a little bit rubbish! x

7. 17th January 2016 / 5:16 pm

I love a good charity shop rifle through! Love the Peepo book, its such a classic!

8. 17th January 2016 / 6:11 pm

Well done you, I love Peepo, a friend of mine bought it for O when he was born and I read it to him constantly. I love a good nosy through a charity shop, something I never thought I’d say a few years ago. We have a couple of lovely little villages near us that have several really good charity shops which are perfect for a rummage. I picked up a Next coat last year for £3!
    Although it is something I need to do on my own as O just doesn’t have the patience for it! xx

9. 17th January 2016 / 8:04 pm

Wow – a jumper for a pound! Lucky you! I think you have to find the right charity shop and then you’re well in! Great that you had a bit of time to yourself xx

10. 17th January 2016 / 10:13 pm

I love going for a rummage in a charity shop but don’t get much of a chance now! x

11. 19th January 2016 / 11:05 pm

Love charity shops. It’s great when you find a bargain or cute item, you kind of feel like you accomplished something!

12. 20th January 2016 / 9:08 am

Amazing bargs! I love a good charity shop haul, it makes me feel good and I enjoy the scratting about for stuff too haha Well done! Great x #ordinarymoments

13. Ben Robb
    5th March 2017 / 6:35 pm

charity shops are good when you are broke and really short of money but you are also helping others by supporting the charity