Why Don’t Girls Have Willies?

“Mom why don’t the twins have willies?”
“Because they’re girls”
“What DO they have then?”

Ok. Panic. I’m trying to peel potatoes and not slice my nail off for the second time this week (carb overload or what you cry) I was NOT anticipating a biology lesson in the kitchen at 4.45pm on a Thursday afternoon.
IMG_4605.JPG
So did I sit him down and give him a swift science lesson? Did I explain all about the physical differences between the two genders? Did I reply with the correct terminology? Did I hell. I froze is what I did. And just didn’t know WHAT to say.

Charlie is now 6. To his credit he’s never really asked about the physical differences between him and his sisters. I did think it would happen early on when the girls were tiny but no he springs it on me’

He just stood looking at me and I said “they don’t have willies they are girls” and much to my shock. That was it. Off he went back to playing. No idea why he had chosen that time to ask or what had even provoked it. But I couldn’t help feeling like I’d totally bottled it – but WHY. I’m not a prude and I hope to have a very relaxed attitude to bodies, hormonal changes and sex but this incident has really made me question if I’m capable of ever being like that? He totally caught me off guard but at the same time surely I should have expected something by now?

Now I have to say here and now that I will never be the parent who tells their toddlers/ small children about vaginas and penises. I just can’t bring myself to hear a tiny little person saying vagina back to me. I’m sure some child expert will strike me down for saying that – but it’s my personal choice. And I won’t be saying it anytime soon.

So I’m throwing down the gauntlet – what DO you call it?
Help me out folks!!

Little Hearts, Big Love

1. 13th January 2015 / 8:19 am

My friend has taught her girls that they have vulvas and vaginas…..it makes me want to die a little inside. Front bum and private parts along with willy will suffice till they are old enough to know differently!

• 13th January 2015 / 11:21 am

Front bum!! I think C would find this absolutely hilarious! I agree. Personally I can’t imagine hearing little people saying vulva and vagina – it’s not for me!

2. 13th January 2015 / 11:03 am

Oh my gosh poor you!
    Ummm I think I would have frozen too. Our two girls call their private bits flowers. Not sure what to call a little boys private bits, some of the other mommy’s with boys refer to it as a tail *which doesn’t sound to bad*lol xx

• 13th January 2015 / 11:22 am

We say willy here. Flower is quite nice actually – I definitely need to decide on something – and quickly!!

3. 13th January 2015 / 1:06 pm

boy bits and girl bits . Seems simple enough ha

4. 13th January 2015 / 2:01 pm

My kids delight in being different to each other! We call them willies and girly bits, and the kids are happy with that, which is good enough for me! x

5. 13th January 2015 / 2:38 pm

I have a 7 year old who is very inquisitive and quite often springs questions on me. The worst when he asked to see the hole the baby comes out of!!! He didn’t get shown. We have just has this in our house as he was saying that his new by sister has a wee hole! Not very nice so as they had winkie woo’s or willies we are calling hers a minky moo or girl bottom. Don’t fancy penis and vagina here, makes me cringe. Xx

6. 13th January 2015 / 7:41 pm

We have a foo and a willy in this house. I however am one of those hey guys let’s tell it as it is parents who probably goes into far too much detail. My girl was in tears when I described what a crucifixion was when she asked a small question about Baby Jesus. They will need therapy fo sure x

7. 13th January 2015 / 8:05 pm

That’s a tough one to spring on you from out of nowhere! I still haven’t got to grips with what to call it with my two girls – so far I’ve just stuck to girl bits. Thanks for linking up to #ftmob.

8. 13th January 2015 / 8:25 pm

We’re a hoo hoo and winky household. Before my daughter was born I swore blind I’d be the kind of mum who uses the correct terminology but now that she’s here I don’t ever want to hear her say the word vagina.

9. 13th January 2015 / 9:56 pm

In our house we all have bits. Girl bits and boy bits. Bums and bits. It works 🙂 x

10. 14th January 2015 / 9:53 am

Oh dear, surprise questions!
    I am not sure what we will call things here, though as we only have Boo and she is a long way off asking I have some time to decide!

11. 18th January 2015 / 7:16 am

Oh lord! I have no idea, at the moment we have a “mummy willy” but no distinction. I have a vague memory of calling it a button as a child! This is on my list to think of!

12. 19th January 2015 / 5:11 pm

I wrote a post like this when Bob was potty training. I had no idea what to call it. It turns out that no name works. In the end we went with bits which I Donmt like but I was lost. xx