Time Together – The Ordinary Moments

I’ve mentioned before about how my husband predominately works away during the week. We go to bed Sunday evening and he usually leaves around 4am meaning we don’t see him until around 5-6pm on a Friday. This is how it’s been pretty much our entire relationship and it’s one we are all used to.

Last week, we all headed off to Butlin’s for our second ambassador trip meaning that Daddy was home for 9 whole days! It’s interesting to see that the kids quickly gravitate towards him when he’s at home for “long” chunks of time. For me, it’s lovely just to have someone to talk to, to share the load and chip in with the mundane tasks.

Having a partner that works away can be incredibly lonely. I often feel a little like a married single parent as Monday to Friday I fly solo. When the kids are in bed,  I quickly find myself being bored with my own company. Most people always say oh I wish my husband worked away so I could have the tv to myself! I guess it would be a novelty but it’s quiet not to mention very restricting. But that’s the way it is. He works so I don’t have to and I know I’m so lucky to be in that position.

It was lovely to get away for a few days and see the kids so utterly happy and excited. P1 for a long time has been telling EVERYONE she is going to Butlin’s so I think for her it was exhilarating. We did so much in our week together and reiterated to me how much holidays mean to us all. We have so many brilliant memories from our travels and we definitely need to book more trips away. Time together is sparse and precious in our house so when it happens, you simply have to savour it.

1. February 26, 2017 / 8:03 am

I can imagine that the novelty of being on your own would quickly wear off. I know that I like it for a day, but then I am so pleased when Andy gets home. That is so lovely that you got to have a good amount of time all together, I bet the children loved it and of course you. It makes you appreciate it that little bit more when it doesn’t happen that often. x #theordinarymoments
    Laura – Dear Bear and Beany recently posted…Half Term…The Ordinary MomentsMy Profile

2. February 26, 2017 / 8:05 am

That’s a beautiful shot, what a gorgeous sky! And how wonderful to be all back together for nine lovely days; that must have been such a treat all round 🙂
    Carie recently posted…Halfterm in the rain at ChatsworthMy Profile

3. William Gould
    February 26, 2017 / 8:13 am

It must be very difficult for you during the week. You sound like my wife, who can’t go for 5 minutes without saying “I’ve nothing to do and I’m Soooo Bored”. But she’s taken up her knitting and sewing again, which is easy to stop and start to fill time gaps!
    I, on the other hand, very, very rarely get bored!

4. February 26, 2017 / 8:15 am

9 whole days together sounds wonderful and I admire you having to juggle it all solo in the week. We’ve never been to Butlins but it sounds like the ideal family getaway.
    Notmyyearoff recently posted…The little camera loverMy Profile

5. February 26, 2017 / 8:24 am

That must be hard during the week but lovely that you have had such a good long time together. Hope it isn’t too long til your next week together x #ordinarymoments

6. February 26, 2017 / 9:36 am

I adore Butlins from my childhood and want to take J back one day – looks like you had a great trip. My work setup may be changing and something similar could be happening in our house but the other way around with me being away and him being the weekday carer. I’m not sure how it will pan out but it’s nice to see it from the other person’s perspective #TheOrdinaryMoments
    Sherry recently posted…My Family Adventures {February 2017}My Profile

7. Carly Belsey
    February 26, 2017 / 9:43 am

Holidays are the only time we get to spend quality time together too as Daddy works very long hours. They are what life is all about aren’t they

8. February 26, 2017 / 7:34 pm

that is a very nice photo, looks so calm there. you have a good husband that works so you don’t have too but you must miss him so much.

9. A S,Edinburgh
    February 26, 2017 / 8:23 pm

It sounds like having that time was wonderful, and these are some very wise words, thank you.

10. MARGARET gallagher
    February 26, 2017 / 9:59 pm

It’s so important for families to have fun together -butlins is the perfect place

11. February 27, 2017 / 8:31 am

Awh! So sweet! There’s nothing like family time. Fortunately my other half works at home so he’s home in the evenings but I get the lonely feeling too when he isn’t around. Glad you had a nice time 🙂

12. February 27, 2017 / 1:57 pm

I often moan about my husband’s shifts but I can’t imagine him not being there all week, every week. Hats off to you – it must be hard. But it’s so lovely that you can make the most of the time that you do have together x
    Donna recently posted…Living Arrows – 9/52 {2017}My Profile

13. March 1, 2017 / 10:30 am

Lovely photo family times are precious making memories lovely photo