Making New Friends

It’s no secret that I’m a bit, awkward shall we say, in social situations. I am pants at making small talk and with a hideous sarcastic tone (think David Brent style talking) it’s safe to say, most aren’t sure what to make of me. When I don’t know people, I can seem shy even a tad arrogant as I’m rubbish at eye contact and “making the first move” by initiating chat with strangers. Seriously, in a waiting room I’m a NIGHTMARE.
I’m pretty stuck in my ways as I’ve reached my 30s and a familiar routine is what I’ve been accustomed to – God I sound such an old fart! This week however, I threw caution to the wind and went on a “Mum date”

Fellow blogger Sam from Porridge and Parenting moved to the area just before Christmas. Shropshire is a funny little place as nothing ever seems to happen here so to have someone move 10 minutes down the road who actually knew what blogging was and blogs herself was somewhat a revelation!

We chatted via Facebook and then decided to meet up for a coffee. Her little girl has just started nursery and my two go in the afternoon, so we thought we would meet up and it was lovely. It’s weird because I almost always have my little amigos in tow and you can hide behind them if conversation runs dry or you aren’t quite sure what to say. We joked that it was like going on a real first date but it was really nice.

I realised that you’re never too old to make new friends. With the girls starting school full time in September I am about to get a LOT of time on my hands and I’m going to need friends to help cure my boredom.

Being a full time parent with a husband that works away can be very lonely and isolating. I can’t do anything in the evening as there’s no one to look after the children and a lot of my close friends work full time. Some days, the only interaction I get is on the school run and doesn’t that sound sad?

I need to start “putting myself out there” more and stop being such a moody cow. What have I got to lose?

PS – we found a mutual love of chocolate cake and bacon. Winner!

1. Mark Fridlington
    16th January 2017 / 3:32 pm

I think a lot of people over 30 will be able to identify with you. It does seem to be harder to make new friends over this age. I actually was told a fact a few years ago that the average person has the most friends/widest social circle when they are aged 22. I cannot disagree with that, sadly.

2. 16th January 2017 / 8:30 pm

You are lovely and I wish we lived closer so we could be REAL LIFE friends too! Your mum date sounds ace although I was expecting a school mum – a blogger isn’t the same as bloggers all love each other. Or maybe that’s just in my head! hehe. So glad it went well x

3. 16th January 2017 / 8:52 pm

Eeek, I’ve done a few mum dates since moving to Lancashire and they are nerve-wracking… Lovely to meet a fellow blogger though. Glad it went well and hope you’ll become friends xx

4. 16th January 2017 / 9:34 pm

Aw that is lovely that you had a mum date and that you got on well. There is literally no one round here who blogs, I wish there was as I would love to have someone to chat to about such things! I am reasonably good at making friends but I am rubbish about going to groups and things where I could meet people- that is my goal for this year to take our baby boy to some groups. x

5. Alison Ellis
    17th January 2017 / 10:56 am

There’s nothing wrong with being awkward in social situations. I think most people are but cover it up easily. Embrace who you are 😀

6. Sarah Homer
    17th January 2017 / 11:03 am

Aww know how you feel, I need to get out there too as you do seem to get stuck in your ways, its hard though

7. Tess D
    17th January 2017 / 11:57 am

totally identify with this – it seems so much harder than it did when I was younger to make friends x

8. Harline parkin
    19th January 2017 / 4:19 am

I think many people will identify with this

9. Char Keddy
    19th January 2017 / 10:06 pm

Yay! Good on you. It’s never too late to meet new people and make new friends 🙂

10. 20th January 2017 / 3:59 am

A lovely article. I can really relate to this. Well done you.

11. A S,Edinburgh
    22nd January 2017 / 11:36 am

Lovely post, and I’m glad it went well! I think there’s a rather pervasive idea that making friends is something that “just happens”, without planning or nervousness, when in fact it often takes a little more effort to “make” it happen, and to overcome nerves and busy schedules, just like dating often does.

12. Helen Moulden
    23rd January 2017 / 9:44 am

Lovely article. I’m terrible too at small talk etc. but good on you for conquering it!

13. 14th February 2017 / 7:45 am

Love this x i find it hard to make new friends x