My Little Helper

Next month my Charlie boy will turn 8. I still can’t quite believe how quickly his years have flown by. To look at him, you’d think he was much much older. He is so incredibly tall for his age – I’m buying age 12 clothes for him! I don’t know if it is the fact that he physically is so big, but he does just seem so mature.

img_6163

In the past couple of weeks, he has really been so keen to help out around the house. With a husband who works away, an extra pair of hands is like music to my ears! We are rapidly getting into a super cute routine of him coming home from school and utterly the quintessential British line

“shall I put the kettle on?”

He goes and fills up the kettle, clicks it on and gets the teabags in the cups ready. Whilst I pour the hot water in, he then shoos me out whilst he gets it all ready for me. I have to say that at seven? My boy makes a cracking cuppa! It’s little things like this that make me realise how lucky I am. Charlie has never really been any trouble whatsoever. From a few weeks old, the boy slept through and has made my parenting journey with my first born quite a joy. He has such a lovely nature and is so very kind and caring. He is so thoughtful and gentle. Don’t get me wrong, he can be a right grumpy sod at times and loves a good huff if I ask him to tidy his in his bedroom.

He can usually be found of a bed time tucked up in bed with a book as he adores reading. As he gets older, I don’t tend to blog as much about him because I know that some of his friends already are so internet savvy. If you ask kids in his class a few say that they want to be YouTubers when they grow up! It makes me feel guilty though. It can feel like he’s the forgotten child in my internet world. In reality, it’s quite the opposite but I often feel like people think I only have twin daughters – I don’t. I have a son who I am more wary of putting out there. In a few years I am sure that he will be asking for his own access to social medias and I am acutely aware of this so feel like I’m doing the best.

He may not crop up as often but my little helper is at the heart of our family. He has two little sisters that idolise him, a Dad who loves having a mini hammers fan and a Mama that thinks he is the best boy on the planet.

The Reading Residence

1. November 18, 2016 / 11:35 am

He does sound like a lovely lad, I wish mine would make me a cuppa! I do have a very helpful 8 yr old daughter though.

2. November 18, 2016 / 12:46 pm

Oh he’s gorgeous! But so tall, my Bethany is 8 and only just going into age 8 clothes, she’s such a tiny thing.

3. November 18, 2016 / 2:28 pm

Ah, this is such a lovely post. He sounds absolutely wonderful and you are right to be so proud of your little helper. Love that he pops the kettle on! Thanks for sharing with #WotW x
    The Reading Residence recently posted…Word of the Week 18/11/16My Profile

4. Pauline jaconelli
    November 18, 2016 / 6:52 pm

I have an 8 and a half year old son and I joke to him that he’ll be making my coffee soon. It’s no joke actually. He will be lol. My mum made me do it when I was around his age but I’m not sure I could let him do it. After reading this I think I might get him to fill the kettle for me! And get my plan into action, this mama needs her coffee

5. Margaret GALLAGHER
    November 19, 2016 / 1:39 am

Growing up fast -most children seem to much bigger than a while ago
    My nephew whos 9 os in aged 11 clothes with size 3-4 shoes
    They are going so be so tall x

6. Laura Tovey
    November 19, 2016 / 12:26 pm

Sounds like a he’s really well loved and he looks so cool!

7. Kim Neville
    November 19, 2016 / 1:53 pm

He sounds nice and thoughtful and great to have a helping hand. My daughter does the drying up after dinner and a few other little jobs for pocket money

8. Kat Allinson
    November 19, 2016 / 8:22 pm

He sounds amazing, a helping hand is always such a lovely gift

9. Tricia Cowell
    November 23, 2016 / 5:21 pm

He sounds like such a lovely boy

10. Shelley Jessup
    November 23, 2016 / 10:42 pm

He sounds a perfect son & I’m sure he will become a lovely gentleman as he gets older.