Best Friends – The Ordinary Moments

Today is my best friends 30th birthday. I’m sure she won’t mind me telling the world that she is now old (it’s Ok, I have six months on her!)

It was actually a comment on my Instagram feed that prompted me to write this as it made me realise how lucky I am to actually have a “best friend” We actually spent our whole school life together; from teeny little 5 year olds we were in pretty much every class together however we weren’t really friends. She was more of a tomboy whereas I was the annoying sporty type. It was our best friends in year 10 coming together that actually threw us together. We ended up realising that we were actually better off as best buddies with our incredibly similar weird sense of humour, our love of gossip and shared mutual likes (and dislikes, LOTS of dislikes)

From crazy 15 year olds, we had a big to do in Sixth Form which ended up in just us two branching out at college together the following year and from here we really became inseparable. Our love of a ridiculously crappy band (who shall be left nameless) saw us trek up and down the country going to gigs, PAs and anything they did. This period really cemented our lifelong friendship. We then discovered going out, drinking and trying to be cool. She got into a fight my now husband back in 2005 which I do love to bring up now and again to make them feel REALLY uncomfortable!!!! The following year she met her now husband and the rest is history.

Between us we have four babies under our belt (I definitely have done my share of reproducing, time to catch up!!!) and we are godmothers to each others kids. When I lost my Mom, an hour later she would be the only phone call I would make to anyone to let them know the incredibly heartbreaking news. I’m glad she has as many silly stories about her as I do and we can always reminisce about her together. We literally have been through every emotion going; mainly me – I am ever the dramatic one! From dog sitting hilarities, far too many drunken nights out, toxic relationships that tested our friendship that she stuck by me, to being there as bridesmaids on our wedding days, through positive pregnancy tests to birth announcements and visiting the latest addition to the clan on the same day.

To be there through the hardest time of my life ever and picking me up. We have gone past friendship stage and I am so lucky to have someone there 24/7 to have a random hilarious what app conversation with. She has eased the hole left by my Mom as she always knows who I mean when I have gossip.

We chat multiple times a day but if we didn’t? It wouldn’t matter. We don’t have a needy friendship that we have to see and speak to each other 24/7 to know we are best mates.

Today on her birthday, I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you for being so…me. Being so painfully hilarious. For always knowing what to say. For sharing my weird views on life and people. For buying me crisps whenever I need them. You E the G – are bloody amazing.

Happy birthday. I love ya!

1. May 15, 2016 / 10:09 am

This is so lovely, something that is really precious and I am sure she feels the same about you as you do about her. Happy birthday to her, being in your 30th is all the rage now! xx
    Laura @ LittleLadiesBigWorld recently posted…Sisters – May {Siblings}My Profile

2. May 15, 2016 / 11:05 am

Good friends are hard to come by and she sounds like one of them!
    Lovely post and it’s so nice you get to share the important and special things in each other’s lives,

3. May 15, 2016 / 12:12 pm

I bet she will love reading this. You are so lucky to have each other, a beautiful post X #TheOrdinaryMoments
    Laura – dear bear and beany recently posted…My Girls…MayMy Profile

4. May 15, 2016 / 7:51 pm

Ah this is so so lovely Beth, she sounds so amazing. What a lovely friend to have. I don’t have a best friend as such anymore which I do found sad. I have lots of very close friends but because I have moved about so much and so have my friends, I have never had a constant best friend. But I do have lots of nice great friends. I would like to have a best one though! Happy Birthday to her. xx

5. May 16, 2016 / 7:00 pm

Aww this is proper canny. You are very lucky to have such a close friendship like that, it sounds like the two of you were a right laugh back on the day! If the certain band is the one I’m thinking of, it’s amazing! I had a best friend like this when I lived in Newcastle but sadly we don’t speak much now that I’m in Northern Ireland. Still got the memories though!
    Lush post xx
    Blogger Mummy Lauren recently posted…My Monthly Bucket List – May 2016My Profile

6. May 16, 2016 / 8:21 pm

This is so lovely, my best friend is really quite a new friend, we only met when we had our girls 5 years ago, we soon became close friends, last year she emigrated to Australia, and I am still so sad that she has gone. But we talk all the time and she will always be my best buddy. x
    Caroline recently posted…Bluebells Woods at Blickling Estate {Our National Trust Challenge}My Profile

7. Margaret Gallagher
    September 6, 2016 / 5:15 pm

This is a beautiful post
    I’ve a best friend but she lives 400 miles from me -I see her maybe once a year if I’m lucky -we go back 35 years good bad and the down right ugly too -still bst mates

8. Margaret
    February 18, 2017 / 7:23 pm

That’s do sweet I have several friends from schooll days -i dont see tgem often but know i could trust thrm with my life -its not akways how near they atre to you but how comnnected you are