Stacks of Homework

Easter school holidays are probably my favourite. Not only do we get two bank holidays meaning all the family will be off, but the weather is usually warmer to be able to get out and about and it’s just the right amount of time; you know, they are back at school just before you want to pull your hair out.

Charlie broke up the Thursday before Good Friday so in reality has had almost three weeks off. We haven’t done much in all honesty but I think that’s what we needed. It also allowed to potty train the girls so it’s been successful if not a tad dull.

What I didn’t bank on was the amount of time swallowed by homework.

Charlie is seven so in May will be doing his year two “SATS” which are basically more about the teachers than the kids, but that’s my view. In preparation for these, we were greeted with a pack of homework for the holidays. Not just a few worksheets to keep the brain ticking a full blown pack of fractions and literacy work. On top of these worksheets (there’s about 15 of these) we are also asked to complete a holiday diary of what we have gotten up to, spellings, two reading books to read (Treasure Island being one of them!) oh and just in case you were wondering he also needs to write a story about the rainforest.

Now before anyone starts – I think homework is a good idea. I never had any until I was in year three but was so excited about it. Charlie gets his spellings on a Tuesday for test on the following  Monday along with a worksheet on a Friday to be completed in a week. We have a set homework night and practise our spellings. Charlie is a complete bookworm and always reads before climbing into bed (he doesn’t have a TV, tablet or game console) so it’s easy to fill out his reading journal. But this holiday- I’m not impressed.

There’s just too much with such little explanation. He’s never really done fractions in class but is expected to work out what three quarters of large numbers are without any prior experience. I can’t help but feel there’s a bit of SAT panic and we have been tasked at filling this – during his HOLIDAYS.

This time should be spent relaxing and enjoying himself. Holidays are just that… I wouldn’t have minded a few bits and a project to compile a diary but I definitely think there’s too much been placed on these six and seven year olds.

We have done as much as we could with very little instruction and I am happy to shoulder any questions as to why we have not completed it all. It has eaten into way too much of his down time already.

Let kids be kids and enjoy their breaks. Sorry, my Ordinary Moments has been replaced by a rant!

1. April 10, 2016 / 6:27 am

That does sound like a lot! My daughter has just turned 4 and here in Spain they attend full time school from the year in which they turn 3 so some children are only 2! They have homework from the start and not just a reading book and I do feel it’s a little too much too young especially over holidays which I think should be a time to relax and recharge. Well done to your girls on potty training. My post this week is about my youngest doing the same at only 22 months totally off her own back – she’s growing up so quickly!

2. April 10, 2016 / 6:30 am

Oh, that sounds like way too much. My daughter doesn’t get homework during the holidays (she gets plenty during the term) but then she’s in Year 1, so we’ll see if we’re in the same boat as you this time next year. An understandable rant, I’d be frustrated too x

3. April 10, 2016 / 7:55 am

This sounds so horrible for the him, school holidays are supposed to be for relaxing and recovering. I appreciate a bit of homework is essential but not the level you’ve mentioned, my mum used to babysit a junior school aged girl and the level and extent of work they required was mad. Hope you all had a lovely holiday nonetheless

4. April 10, 2016 / 2:27 pm

That doesn’t sound much fun at all, poor Charlie. We are only just starting on our school journey but Mads didn’t have any homework this holidays, bar to keep up her reading practice. I think it is nice for them to relax in the holidays. I hope you had a lovely one nonetheless. We haven’t done much either and it has been just what we needed. x

5. April 10, 2016 / 7:46 pm

This really frightens me – Rosalie is only two so school is still a way off, but I am already having serious worries about the emphasis put on tests and scores and rankings. I think too much is expected of them too young and as you say, let kids be kids, they need down time and the holidays should be just that xx
    Jess @picnicsintherain recently posted…Little person, big personalityMy Profile

6. April 10, 2016 / 10:40 pm

Oh poor Charlie, that doesn’t sound like a holiday at all – when was he supposed to have time to recharge and rest?! Vent away, there’s plenty of space on the soapbox for all of us!
    Carie recently posted…Just a swift halfMy Profile

7. April 11, 2016 / 6:08 pm

That sounds like a crazy amount. Harry is in the same year group, he had one investigative piece, to choose a famous explorer and write/draw about them, which we enjoyed because it felt like a little project. Then he had his reading books… which we didn’t even look at (bad mum) we read other books though, just not the specific school ones. luckily for me his teacher is kind of against homework so young, its the first year they have given homework, it always used to be just spellings and reading but now they get homework every 2 weeks.
    Caroline recently posted…Preparing for some changesMy Profile

8. April 14, 2016 / 8:30 pm

I think we were lucky & both kids has no homework for easter half term. My daughter has a six week project now though but manageable & son is all about phonics for the June test! It was nice to have a proper school break. Hope your son didn’t feel too bogged down by it all. Lifeinthemumslane