Buying Flowers – The Ordinary Moments

Birthdays here go hand in hand with buying flowers. We have a beautiful little shop in town which is a treasure trove of gorgeous little items and it’s amazing each time you step inside. The florist in there is the lady who did my wedding flowers and she is so lovely and we always now go to her for all our flowers as she’s so helpful and just so friendly.

So this week my sister had Monday off work as she had just come back from her holiday so we decided to go for some lunch with my Dad and the girls and stop off and ordered some flowers. As we walked in and saw the lovely florist, we started chatting about what types of flowers and what colours and then having to say “they are for a grave” is very difficult. It stops people in their tracks and the words hang in the air – no one quite sure how to react.

It’s so hard buying flowers that never get to sit in a vase and be fully enjoyed, or sitting down to write a card that you know will never be opened and read, but I am adamant that just because she is not here doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t do all of these things that we used to.

Each day is hard, but big dates such as birthdays and Christmas are always even more difficult as its a stark reminder that another year has passed by and that time really doesn’t stop for anyone. Life has to carry on.

Happy birthday Mom – we will never stop remembering, I promise.

Linking up with Katie at Mummy, Daddy and Me for her wonderful linky

1. 20th September 2015 / 7:19 am

Beautiful idea… So very sorry for your loss, but lovely that you all got together to remember the special day. Sending lots of love.xx

2. 20th September 2015 / 3:36 pm

Those flowers are absolutely beautiful and I completely understand your anxieties about saying “grave” and related words out loud…ive seen the reactions 1st hand! I am sure your mum would have loved those flowers and loved that you were together doing that for her, I bet they looked lovely on her grave too… I am so sorry that she wont get to put them in a vase, open her cards or anything like that. How things change so quickly and how hard it is for us left here with out them.

This week was my daughters 1st birthday and that involved going to her grave and not opening gifts… I find ppl clam up too when I say what I am buying things for. It feels so wrong and sad, and life most certainly does go on , whilst you will be sat wondering why and why cant it pause on her birthday or something? how long has your mum been gone?
    xx #OrdinaryMoments
    Mary recently posted…The Ordinary Moments 38/52 – Poppy’s BirthdayMy Profile

3. 20th September 2015 / 6:22 pm

Oh lovely this made me get teary again, you write so beautifully about your Mum. It’s a lovely idea and a beautiful sentiment too. Sending you my love. xx

4. 21st September 2015 / 3:23 pm

This is such a sweet post and the way you write about your mum is so beautiful. I think it’s so important to remember those we’ve lost, and little traditions like taking flowers on special occasions is such a lovely way to do so. Thinking of you xx
    Chantal Milk&Nappies recently posted…{The Ordinary Moments} #26 – Meeting MillyMy Profile

5. 21st September 2015 / 8:45 pm

Oh my dear, yes it is hard isn’t it. I’m glad you pushed past the awkwardness anyway, what a lovely idea and way to remember.

6. Hannah
    22nd September 2015 / 10:49 am

I lost my Gran (who was my mother figure) 5 years ago. Christmas’ and birthdays are still hard, and to this day I still want to ring her with any news, when the children hit a milestone or when im feeling sad. I bet it was nice to meet up with your family and talk, so many people don’t or won’t and I find that bit hard. Sending hugs xx
    Hannah recently posted…{The Ordinary Moments} #38 ‘My best friend wont play with me’My Profile