A Lonely Fireplace

We are planning to move properly next weekend. We still have just under 3 weeks left on our tenancy but I’m wanting to go sooner rather than later so that I can get everything straight and our old house tidied ready to give the keys back.

I’ve been busy sorting what I want in every room and my husband has set to the decorating but the one room I haven’t really given much thought to is our bedroom. Of course the kids rooms were the first I sorted but I realised we haven’t really made any effort to sort our room.

Our bedroom will be dominated by our wardrobes which take up most of the space. Our new room is much smaller than our current room but that doesn’t bother me too much. The long term plan is to convert the loft and have that as our fourth bedroom with ensuite so I’m happy to make do for a few years.

In our bedroom the walls are white with a small feature wall which is red, but in the wall is a very quirky little fireplace.

It’s safe to say it hasn’t really been looked after but when I saw it I was in two minds; do we just brick it up and forget about it, or do I try to transform it and make it into the statement piece of the room?

It isn’t central to the room which is a little awkward and I’m not sure how close it will be to our wardrobes but I have been scouring Pinterest for inspiration and have seen lots of gorgeous ideas of putting candles or logs inside which look gorgeous!

A few of the tiles are chipped and one is broken so I’m thinking we could possibly change the tiles and make it more into a fireplace to make the room all cosy.

Does anyone else have any ideas? I know that red wall has to go – “Roxanne” anyone?! Keep your eyes peeled for a transformation post in the future as I am hoping to start mini projects such as this once we are in and settled.

Home Etc

1. Potty Mouthed Mummy
    September 16, 2015 / 7:09 am

I think you can get special paint for painting the interior of a fireplace. If it was me I would do that then add some decorative vases in front perhaps? xx
    Potty Mouthed Mummy recently posted…Our New Home Part 4 {The Garden}My Profile

2. September 16, 2015 / 9:46 am

I think you could make it a real feature, depending on what else you do with the room I would probably go with some logs and maybe a couple of candles too. x
    Caroline recently posted…My Siblings in SeptemberMy Profile

3. September 16, 2015 / 3:38 pm

Ooh yes three cheers for keeping it! I’m not terribly creative so not sure what to suggest but maybe a link of paint, a new surround and some candles would be lovely, or a big glass vase with some fairy lights. How lovely X #HomeEtc
    Lins @Boo & Maddie recently posted…A Rural IdyllMy Profile

4. September 16, 2015 / 6:09 pm

If you’re going to decorate it and put things in the hearth it’s worth making sure it’s sealed properly so nothing (birds, soot or dust) come down it. And what about painting the tiles instead of replacing them? Looking forward to seeing how it turns out πŸ™‚ #homeetc
    Stephanie recently posted…The future’s bright…My Profile

5. September 16, 2015 / 8:07 pm

I think it would be lovely made into a feature and with candles in like you say! I think you would regret bricking it up. Good luck with the move! Can’t wait to hear all about it! x #homeetc
    Julia @ rainbeaubelle recently posted…Miffy turns 60My Profile

6. September 16, 2015 / 9:31 pm

I’d keep it. No question. And probably make a real feature of it. You could get a chippie to make a little surround with a mantlepiece for it β€” paint it white β€” stick a mirror over the top and paint the inside of the fireplace black or charcoal grey. Put some lovely pillar candles in and Bob’s your uncle! IT would looks AWESOME!!

But I’d get rid of the red. Straight away πŸ˜‰

Thanks for linking up with us pet and congratulations on your new home!! #HomeEtc
    Caro | The Twinkles Mama recently posted…Home Etc #18 Ҁ” Home and Garden Inspired Blog HopMy Profile

7. September 17, 2015 / 5:14 am

I’m in the ‘keep it’ camp! But what you do with it really depends on how you’re planning to style the whole room I think – if you’re going with modern and calm then you could paint the tiles, make it a feature and add candles or for a more traditional feel stack logs inside (ends out). You could also make the logs more modern by painting the ends in complementary colours to your room design… can’t wait to see what you do! #HomeEtc
    Michelle Reeves (The Essex Barn) recently posted…How to choose a statement radiatorMy Profile

8. September 17, 2015 / 6:55 am

We’ve got a small one in our bedroom too, although it’s iron and desperately needs painting, I’ve put some twinkly lights & pine cones in it (do the same for the main one when not using it) looks lovely and homely and flickers x
    Leandra recently posted…|REVIEW & GIVEAWAY|Baker Ross rugby shirt coastersMy Profile

9. September 17, 2015 / 7:23 am

I would leave it and just spruce it up a little! Quite like the character it has! Logs would look lovely inside and be so cosy. Adding candles would also be lovely πŸ™‚ HOW exciting moving soon!!!!!! Eeeeeeeeeek πŸ™‚ Lovely to have you again and thanks for sharing with us πŸ™‚ Jess xx

#HomeEtc