Pets

We don’t have any pets. Charlie massively dislikes dogs so he’s never really pushed for any pets. It’s a world away from my childhood where we had guinea pigs, rabbits, hamsters, cats, dogs, cockatiels, fish and even a stick insect! We always had loads to look after but since leaving home I’ve never really been keen on pets in my own house. It sounds awful but I don’t like the responsibility of a pet as we often go out for long days and having a cat or dog isn’t really fair.

He loved the bright lights!

However, the last few times we’ve been shopping and ultimately ended up in the pet shop to placate the girls (who are completely animal obsessed) and Charlie keeps veering off to the fish. He seems to be a little transfixed by all the different sizes and colours and all of the different arrays of tanks and lighting. We had a look when we got home for more tanks and tank lighting which surprised me at how cheap they start at – I was thinking it’d be more than the tank! and I think we may be pursing it in the summer as a gift for them all. I thought LED lighting for the tank would be high cost but it’s actually quite low and makes the tank looks super pretty! It’s so different to when we had our goldfish when we were little. We had them from the local petshop and Miss & Sue (I have no idea about the names!) lasted over 10 years!!! But they only had a simple tank nowadays there’s so many different cool things to add to funk up the tank.

My best friend used to have a wonderful aquarium tank at her house and Charlie used to absolutely love looking at all the fish when we went over when he was little. We also were trusted with the schools goldfish over the summer a couple of years ago and we loved having Rosie the fish stay with us.

(null)
I like the idea of a low maintenance pet as at the moment I couldn’t cope with the responsibility of having to walk a dog everyday – I am cream crackered at the end of the day with the girls still being whirlwind toddlers so going out in the wind and rain isn’t one that appeals to me. Taking the girls walking with reins feels somewhat like dog walking so add a real dog into it – I’d go grey!

What do you all think? Do you have pets? Am I being mean just having fish?

This is a collaborative post

1. February 18, 2015 / 7:19 pm

Aww you’re not being mean at all – you’re doing what is right for you and your family at the current time. That’s not to say the situation won’t change and you might think about something other than fish in future 🙂

I grew up with cats and dogs and for me it’s no question not to have them now but that’s mainly because I love animals more than people and our 8 month old Springer pup has brought so much joy into our lives. We don’t have children but we do both work full time and decided to get a dog walker. Maddie ADORES her and every day she’s gone for a couple of hours with the walker and 3-4 other dogs and has an amazing time, much more so than she would get if we weren’t working. Hopefully if we do have children in future she’ll be a lovely family dog too.

Never doubt the choices you make, they’re right for you 🙂 X (I’m @daisychainbaby on Twitter) X
    Lins @Boo & Maddie recently posted…Our Forever Home – One Year OnMy Profile

• February 18, 2015 / 9:04 pm

Thank you so much for this! I do feel like it’s the best at the moment. The girls are still wild and I think a cat would be scared of them and a dog would just add to the chaos!!!
      Beth Twinderelmo recently posted…PetsMy Profile

2. Jayne T
    February 18, 2015 / 8:28 pm

I really didn’t like the idea of having a pet, even though I love animals. However my daughter never gave up and somehow managed to talk me into buying two hamsters, they’re part of our family now and I wouldn’t be without them.

• February 18, 2015 / 9:01 pm

I think when the girls are older maybe I could go for hamsters. I think Charlie really won’t want any which is good!!

3. February 18, 2015 / 10:23 pm

We always had cats and fish growing up, the fish always seemed like far too much effort and I decided that I would never have them. On the other hand, cats make a home for me and we have two now who are a lot of work, annoy the hell out of me but I wouldn’t be without them x
    Donna recently posted…5 Tips for getting to the airport on timeMy Profile

4. vanessa gannon
    February 18, 2015 / 11:23 pm

hi i have 3 little dogs and 5 goldfish at the moment, my 10 year old has been bought up with dogs and various little furry animals, we could’nt imagine not having the dogs they are part of the family, but it is a tie to some degree,but its the price you pay(gladly) i might add,but one problem i found having little animals, we had gerbils, then dwarf hamsters,was the heartbreak over losing them because they dont have a long life-only 2-3 years, and when they died my daughter ,who was 7 at the time was heartbroken,so were going to just stick with our lovely dogs,i hope you find your perfect pet for your family.

5. February 19, 2015 / 3:25 am

I can’t imagine the terror my toddler would cause a cat or a doG!! He loves them chasing shouting hello doggy hello pussy cat but they turn round he shrieks and runs as he isn’t brave enough!!!! I’m not even going for fish….
    Laura @ Life with Baby Kicks recently posted…Travelling with the toddler terrorMy Profile

6. Eva Appleby
    February 22, 2015 / 1:09 am

Really lovely Blog

7. Jane Gorton
    February 24, 2015 / 7:55 pm

It all depends on your circumstances, it is not fair on the animal if you cannot take care of it. So many people do not think first and that is why we have Battersea Dogs & Cats home and many other rehoming charities – don’t feel bad you are doing the right thing for your family x